Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What I like about having blogspots and websites is that one can  re-publish
work long after it was first published.
Read an excerpt from my short story - Shanti. If you want to see what happens
to the teller of the tale, read the rest at
www.authorsden.com/laurellamperd

    I met Stephanie, the new arts teacher, the week after I saw Caroline on the plane
to England.
"I'd like someone's help to hang my paintings?" Stephanie said at morning recess
after everyone had introduced themselves.
"I'll give you a hand," I said, attracted by her vivacious pixie face framed by short
dark hair so different to Caroline's cool blondeness.
 Stephanie's eyes lit up. "Thank you. Come for dinner."
Nigel, the manual arts teacher, a gangling one hundred and ninety centimetres,
leered at us in his usual inane way. I knew what he thought. Caroline has been
gone a week and you're already on to another.
Stephanie's front door was open when I arrived at her unit on the second floor
of a three-story block of flats. Receiving no answer to my knock and call, I went
in. She sat on the mat in the living area wearing a pale blue sari, edged with silver
 and red trimmings, staring through me as if in some subliminal trance.
Set in Roman Britain, Crossroads at Isca is the story of two British girls whose lives
are changed forever when the meet two young Roman tribunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment