Saturday, March 23, 2013

Military Musems


    MILITARY MUSEUMS 

The photograph hung
Amid dusty Great War uniforms.
The caption read -
Name unknown
Died of wounds
Passchendaele.

I asked the woman
At the desk
about the photograph.
She said it had
arrived anonymously in
a box of army relics. 

I had a great uncle
Who died at Passchendaele.
He was my grandmother's twin brother.
I imagine him
smooth cheeked, clear eyed
like this forgotten soldier
willing to die for
King and Country. 

After her death
My grandmother's possessions
were packed in boxes and
distributed among the family.
All her precious little treasures
her little bits of remembrance
some of them maybe
to reside in military museums.
 
 
Three children save a creek from the developers. For children 7-11
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment